Beaverbrooks' Chairman Receives Highest Honour At UK Jewellery Awards
We are unbelievably proud to say that our Chairman Mark Adlestone, OBE DL, has been named the winner of the Outstanding Contribution to the Jewellery Industry Award 2017 at the prestigious UK Jewellery Awards.
We may be a little biased, but honestly, we can think of no one more deserving of this amazing accolade.
Mark is deeply respected and highly admired across the jewellery industry and the business world, picking up many honours for his exemplary leadership skills and his strong influence on the communities in which we live in today.
Our CEO, Anna Blackburn (pictured right), said: “Mark’s achievements are truly remarkable and I can think of no one more worthy to be recognised and applauded by the industry through this special award.
“Mark is a caring and compassionate multi-talented individual who inspires and makes a huge difference to so many people’s lives, and we are honoured and privileged to have such a distinguished person in both our business and the wider industry.”
Five Impressive Facts About Mark Adlestone
1. Mark joined our third-generation family-owned jewellery retailer in 1979. Since then, we’ve featured in The Sunday Times list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For for 14 consecutive years. Pretty impressive, right?!
2. He was awarded an OBE for his services to business and charity in the North of England in 2015. Mark introduced the concept of charitable giving through the creation of The Beaverbrooks Charitable Trust and we now donate 20% of our post-tax and post-distribution profits to charities.
3. Mark has been recognised as ‘UK’s Best Leader’ by The Sunday Times five times. He actively encourages and empowers colleagues to support charities either by fundraising or volunteering time. Since 2000, Beaverbrooks has donated an excess of £11m to over 400 charities. Here's Mark (middle) with Susie Nicholas, our Charity Manager, at this year's annual Beaverbrooks Bike Ride.
4. Mark dedicates one day a week to his charity and communal work, which includes his role as Chairman of The Fed, the leading social and welfare organisation within the Jewish community of Greater Manchester. He was also recently appointed Deputy Lieutenant for Greater Manchester.
5. Mark is a big collector of music and has approximately 2,500 albums and more than 450 vinyl singles.
On receiving this award, Mark said: “I feel truly honoured to win this award. It has been my great privilege to work in such a wonderful and unique industry for 38 hugely enjoyable years and I fully intend to continue doing so for many years in the future.
“I take this opportunity to pay tribute to all my wonderful colleagues at Beaverbrooks and indeed within our entire industry.”
Mark continues to have a massive impact on everyone he meets, including his colleagues. Here are some testimonials from the people he works with.
“The importance Mark places on his relationships with everyone in Beaverbrooks is staggering; he doesn’t do it because he needs to, but because he genuinely wants to. His compassion and the way he engages with everyone to an incredible level is why he has not only my loyalty and trust, but that of everyone who knows him. Mark is genuinely an inspiration to me as he is the finest example you will see of professionalism, drive and engagement with others. It is a pleasure to work for him.” David Rowe, General Manager at Beaverbrooks Trafford Centre.
“Mark is one of life’s very special human beings, constantly seeking out the good in people and I know from experience, he makes a significant difference to the lives he touches, both within and external to Beaverbrooks.” Adelle Thompson, Head of Buying.
“Mark is one of the kindest people I’ve ever met. In passing, I mentioned that I was a huge fan of 70’s German electronic music band ‘Kraftwerk’ and that I was gutted that I’d not been able to get tickets for their sold-out upcoming gig, which Mark was going to. Shortly after, Mark returned with his two tickets and insisted that I take them – he wouldn’t take no for an answer. I burst into tears – this is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me.” Alison Jones, Beaverbrooks In-House Services.
And that's not all... It was a truly amazing night for us at this year's UK Jewellery Awards as we also won 'Retail Employer of the Year'! Time to pop open the celebratory fizz? We think so!