How To Give Your Jewellery Some TLC
If your jewellery box is in need of some pampering, we’ve got some top tips to keep your favourite pieces looking as good as new.
Follow these steps on how to clean and care for your jewellery and you’ll be dazzling in no time.
Top tips for wearing your jewellery:
All these tips will help reduce corrosion, tarnishing and discolouration of your jewellery to help keep it shining.
1. Always remove your jewellery when applying beauty products like make-up, perfume and hairspray. Or just remember..
Your jewellery should be the last thing you put on when getting ready. It's the ultimate finishing touch.
2. Don’t shower, soak, submerge or sleep in your jewellery. Chlorine is especially damaging!
3. Try to remember to remove your jewellery when cooking or cleaning. Rinse off any chemicals that come into contact with your jewellery.
Top tips for storing your jewellery:
1. Store your jewellery pieces in separate boxes or in pieces of tissue paper so they don’t scratch against each other.
2. Make sure any loose chains are fastened to prevent tangling.
3. Don’t leave your jewellery exposed to sunlight or in a damp environment.
Top tips for cleaning your jewellery:
We recommend you get your jewellery professionally cleaned in-store once a year. However, regularly giving your jewellery some TLC at home will help keep it dazzling. Natural skin oils and dirt in the atmosphere can dull the surface of precious metals, so follow these tips on how to clean your jewellery – including gold, silver, platinum, diamond and gemstone jewellery.
1. Wash in a mild solution of soap and lukewarm water.
2. Use a soft bristled brush to gently clean the surface and under stone settings.
3. Rinse well with lukewarm water.
4. Dry using a soft, lint-free cloth that won’t leave fuzz or threads behind.
5. Make sure your jewellery is completely dry afterwards to prevent staining and corrosion.
View our full Jewellery Care Guide for more tips and advice.
We also have a wide range of cleaning products to help you clean your jewellery at home. Please note pearls and some gemstones need to avoid contact with cleaning products.